Friday, August 31, 2007

Esquiar!!

Since it's been a good two weeks since the aforementioned activity took place (that of skiing...in the Chilean Andes) it's a perfect time for me to recollect and recount my experience. First, you must consider the fact that the only places I've been skiing (downhill skiing to be more specific) have been Wisconsin and Minnesota. Notice the lack of mountains inherent within these previous experiences. So, as one naturally can assume, I was absolutely amazed upon seeing, for the first time, a mountain on which I was about to ski (this state of amazement was experienced before I even set foot on the snow...one can only imagine, therefore, the state of absolute ecstasy upon actually skiing down a real mountain with no trees in sight, only powder, some winding trails, meandering throughout the vast expanse occasionally making visible a view to die for...except for when it overlooked Santiago which is basically a pit of smog...). So...all descriptive descriptions aside, this was the most amazing Chilean experience to date and arguably the most amazing life experience to date (in terms of adventurousness at least). But before I proceed any further, I suppose I should tell you a bit more about where I went and the adventures that took place before, after, and in between the act of skiing for what seemed to be a blissful perpetuity. From Viña del Mar (my current home town) myself, Monty, John, Christan, and Rachel took a bus to Santiago on Thursday night August 16th for the manageable price of $CLP 2,000 ($US 4.00). Upon arriving late that night, we stayed in Hostel Internacionale, a cozy hostel in downtown Santiago. We had a room to ourself which costed us $CLP 6,500 a night ($US 13.00). Monty, having talked to the friendly receptionist (succumbing to her feminine charm most undoubtedly) came back to the room with good news regarding a ski rental place just a few Metro stops from where we were. "Good job Monty", we said. The next day, clad in an assortment of warm outer wear (myself and Rachel in our under armor suits), we went to the ski rental place. Upon our arrival, we found it to be a hole in the wall establishment with pretty darn sketchy equipment and the same prices as the Travel Guide recommended Ski Total. "Bad job Monty", we said. So we paid too much for too little and clambered into the bus that would take us up the innumerable amounts of switch-backs up the mountain. There were some Australian tourists that seemed to be having a bad day and delayed our departure because of it. This being the case, we didn't get up to the mountain until 10:30am. The mountain was called El Colorado (creative, I know...like they're trying to compete with somewhere...) and it was pretty sweet, given my first time skiing in the mountains. I figured out that I'm not that good at skiing in powder...or rather my face figured it out after diving head first into the stuff. But I enjoyed myself emmensly. The next day was suuper mejor and we went to a reputable ski outfitter called Ski Total and got some sweet gear then proceeded to go up the mountain to a different resort called Valle Nevado which was also suuper mejor. This place was much more expansive with more exploring possibilities and my skis were better suited to navigate through the powder. I went up to the highest point of the mountain and it was so high up I was having trouble breathing! I usually ended up skiing by myself due to the fact that I lost the group rather often...only to stumble across them somewhere else..then lose them again. But watev....I had fun and am definitely doing this again!
We came back to Viña on Saturday, and after being away for 2 nights it felt for the first time like home sweet home. It was kinda cool after being in a "foreign" place like Santiago to come back to the place I was familiar with...which is weird cause I've only been living here for a month. I was also super sore and getting back in my nice warm bed felt oh so nice. Sunday would be recuperating day. Indeed it was, as I didn't open my eyes in the morning until 1:30 (I guess I should say afternoon then...). Well...I'm kinda lazy so I don't want to write any more...but tune in next time for another Chile update!

No comments: